Wednesday, September 17, 2008

The Road Race and other resolutions

At the beginning of this year, I set a few goals for 2008 which I refused to call resolutions. Whatever you want to call them, I've been meaning to check in on those goals all summer, especially since I checked a big one off the list this August. Cory and I took a trip to visit friends in Nova Scotia and took part in the 102nd running of the Dartmouth Natal Day Road Race. It was my goal to run the 2 mile race, which I accomplished in a time of 22:41 finishing 298th out of 417 runners. Obviously I wasn't running to win, but completing the race was a huge victory for me. I can hardly describe the feeling of crossing the finish line, but the thing I remember most about it is the smile on my face.

Running 2 miles isn't comparable to qualifying the Olympics or anything like that, so I realize you may think it odd for me to make such fuss over this. I guess I have to explain my athletic history. That is, my complete lack of anything athletic-like ever. When I was a kid, I didn't participate in any sports or exercise. While I was a straight A+ student, my report card was marred by gym marks of C's and D's. I actually tried to quit school in protest over being forced to play volleyball. I was four-foot-nothing all through junior high... my serves didn't stand a chance of reaching the net and the other girls trampled over me to get to the ball. I suffered two weeks of detention for this rebellion, but my stance was rewarded when my gym teacher appointed me scorekeeper when the sport changed to basketball.

I never had any intentions of trying to become a runner until last year's road race. I was walking the race with my friend Lorri and when we passed the halfway mark she suggested we run for a bit because we were behind our pace from the previous year. I didn't really have time to think about it and we just started running. And we ran for about 10 minutes and... GASP...I didn't collapse in pain. Nor did I pass out from the exertion. I ran and I actually kinda enjoyed it. So that's how it all began. It's Lorri's fault :) Incidentally, Lorri rocks. She broke her leg this summer just about a month before the race and she still managed to run the race in a leg brace in a little over 28 minutes!

I wish I had a picture to share of the event, but I don't. I can't believe I don't have a picture because Lorri and I both rarely go anywhere without our cameras. Just imagine me in sweaty running gear with a big smile on my face!

Now to check in on the other resolutions I made in January.
  • Paint the baby's room and get a crib - Haven't been able to go there yet... may be deferred to 2009.
  • Live healthy - body, mind, and soul - Yup, feeling reasonably satisfied with my efforts on this one. The running suffered through the record-breaking rains of August, but I'll get back on track soon.
  • Call or email old friends I haven't talked to in a while - My summer off gave me lots of time to spend with friends old and new... it was great!
  • RUN the annual road race in Dartmouth that I walked the past two years - An enthusiastic and triumphant CHECK!
  • Take another trip south and relax more/do less while we're there - Check... mmmm...warm, sunny memories flooding in.
  • Give in to my hubby's coaxing and try a U.Fit class - Not yet but there's still time. Had to leave something for the final quarter.

Not bad. I can't believe this year is already 3/4 over, but I'm impressed that I lived up to most of the goals even though they weren't front and centre on my mind for most of 2008. It'll be time to make new resolutions before we know it.

No comments:

Post a Comment