Monday, May 11, 2009

Mother's Day

I gave myself a Mothers Day gift yesterday. I gave myself permission to bow out of the annual festivities with my in-laws. Not that I don't love and appreciate my mother and MIL but my feelings count, too. I've grinned and beared it for 9 years now... I deserve to honour my feelings for once. When I look back on all the insensitive but well-meaning comments that have been made to me along this difficult journey, the majority of them were said on Mothers Day. I really think that people who care about me know that this day is so hard for me and they don't know how to handle it so they end up saying something more hurtful than helpful. So, today I stayed home, watched some TV, tidied up the house, and cooked a great dinner. Truly, this was the best Mothers Day gift I've ever gotten.

Cheers to all of you for getting through Mothers Day, whether you celebrated it, boycotted it, hid from it, or just did whatever you felt like doing to honour the day!

1 comment:

  1. Hey Jeanne,
    I'm glad to hear you were able to get through Mother's Day the way you needed to. I'm sorry it's so hard for you.

    Take care,
    Tammy

    ReplyDelete