First things first - to my friends who are still in The Wait: I truly, truly thought of you yesterday and I don't forget for a second how hard Mother's Day can be when your dreams have yet to come true. I hope you got through the day whatever way you could, and I really hope it turns out to be your last Mother's Day without your children to help you celebrate.
Second things second - I also spent a lot of time yesterday thinking about Cohen's birthmother. As our mother-son bond grows every day, I realize that another such beautiful bond was broken when she made that most difficult but brave choice. What an amazing woman she must be. I'm sure we see bits of her every day in Cohen's beautiful smile, his joyful personality and his sense of humour.
Now on to happier things. What a fantastic first Mother's Day I was treated to! First thing yesterday morning, I woke up to hear "Mommy! Surprise! Surprise! Happy Muh-yer's Day!". My sweet little boy climbed excitedly into bed beside me, presented me with a cute hand-made card and proudly declared "Made it!". The card also had a darling little butterfly pin attached to it and Cory gave me a beautiful porcelain mother's guardian angel. Both will be treasured keepsakes from this great day.
The next "gift" of the day was a yummy breakfast of bacon and eggs. Cory mentioned later in the day that his plan was to ensure that I didn't have to lift a finger all day long, and he did a fantastic job on that front! Later in the morning, Cory packed up a lovely picnic lunch and we headed out to a park near our house. We had a great time playing on the slide. It's really all about the slide for Cohen - whatever park we go to, it's the first thing he seeks out.
And now for the blooper reel. It's ok to laugh because he didn't get hurt. And because it's funny.
Unfortunately, about 10 minutes after these videos were shot, Cohen started getting sick and lost his picnic lunch in the playground :( Too much "belly first" down the slide too soon after eating, maybe. So we packed up and headed home for naptime. He had a great 2.5 hour nap and we thought he was feeling better, but the poor little guy threw up again right after he woke up. And then again all over Mommy while we were snuggling with a glass of gingerale. Happy Mother's Day to me! While this was all unfolding, Cory was trying to prepare a special supper with some of my favourite foods. So, he had to take a break from that to give Cohen a bath while I took a shower... poor Daddy!
Supper turned out awesome (albeit a little late) in spite of the bumps in the road. Bacon-wrapped scallops, quiche with Hollandaise sauce, spring rolls and black forest cake for dessert. Cohen was even feeling well enough to eat when it was ready and he enjoyed the meal, too. I wish I had taken pictures of the beautiful food, but by that time Cohen and I were in our jammies and Daddy was looking a little tired! You'll have to take my word for it.... the food was delicious and beautiful.
So, it was a great day even with being thrown up on! Cohen was back to himself by yesterday evening and so far Cory and I haven't gotten sick. Thank you to my sweet little boy for making my dreams of being a Mom come true (and for not giving me his germs for Mother's Day) and to my wonderful husband for putting together a beautiful, memorable day.
Glad to see that you had a wonderful Mother's Day even with Cohen's upset tummy!
ReplyDelete