Today is my Dad's 78th birthday. He's a very young 78 year-old and lives a life that would tire me out in a week. He goes dancing with my Mom every Saturday night, does all the manual labour associated with living in an old country farm house, and bikes regularly. He did a 38 km bike ride one day this fall, just for something to do. During the winter, he bikes indoors on an exercise bike and his goal is 11 km per day. I have no idea why 11... he couldn't possibly be a Spinal Tap fan, could he?
So much of my personality comes from my Dad. From him, I get my love of order and rationality, my level head, my sense of humour, and my silent laugh. My loud laugh comes from my Mom. Being their daughter means I laugh a lot and I always have just the right laugh to suit the occasion.
My Dad taught me by example to be kind and welcoming to everyone. When company arrives, offer them a chair close to the wood stove, put on a pot of tea, and ask about their family.
Best of all, Dad loves kids and babies. Even though he comes from a different generation and hasn't experienced much cultural or racial diversity in his life, he supported our decision to adopt internationally without hesitation. He even said he wished he and Mom were younger so they could adopt as well.
So, today I'm celebrating my Dad and giving thanks for all his wisdom, values, and laughs.
Your dad sounds amazing!! How sweet for you to write such nice things about him and your relationship!
ReplyDeleteTake care,
Tammy
Happy belated to your dad!
ReplyDelete