Wednesday, April 28, 2010

A not-so-sweet realization

*Caution - do not read this post if you are eating or are easily disgusted*

Every kid needs a barf bucket.

This one came to me today as I fight a battle with a (hopefully) 24 hour stomach flu. It came on last evening and raged on through the night, leaving me weak and with aching ribs today. I haven't been sick like this in a very long time but I used to get the stomach flu a lot when I was a kid. At around 3:00am last night when I was dragging myself to the toilet once again, I wished I had a barf bucket like my Mom used to give me when I was little. There was something comforting about having that bucket by your side any time you needed it. I have lots of memories of being tucked into bed with the barf bucket beside me and being propped up on the couch with lots of pillows and blankets and the barf bucket between my knees. I can smell the Lysol on plastic smell. There was even a certain coming of age when I was old enough to give up the barf bucket and make it to the toilet.

This flu also brought back memories of my sister and I making a game out of counting how many times we threw up when we were sick together. I know, so gross... but anything to entertain yourself when you're feeling so sick. The memory is fuzzy, but I think my personal best was 15 times in 24 hours. Last night, I think I counted 7 times. That might be a new record in the adult division. I gotta go call my sister.....

1 comment:

  1. Oh my gosh, that is so funny :) Here's my tidbit to add.....I was never very sick as a kid, so I was surprised to get a thrower-upper in my second daughter. 19 times in 6 hours is her record, by the end of it, at 4am, we both fell asleep in the remains of my bedroom, bed stripped to the mattress and puke in hair (hers and mine) on our clothes, everywhere! We weren't sure when it would end, and when it did and she fell asleep, I didn't want to wake her, and we had already been through all of the clean pj's and sheets in the house, so we slept first, then got cleaned up. Gross! But I'll NEVER forget it. lol

    ReplyDelete