Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Trying to be an environmentally conscious homemaker

With all the time I'm spending at home these days, it's been coming to my attention just how much of what I do and/or consume has a potential impact on the environment. Even the little things add up when you take note of them over the full day - the toilet is flushing more often, the dishwasher fills up sooner, the paper towel roll empties faster, the TV is on more. So, I've been trying to take little steps to counteract these impacts. I've only been doing laundry when the sun is shining and I hang everything out on the clothesline (even socks and bloomers - we must be the talk of the community!). I keep a cleaning cloth beside the sink to avoid using paper towel. I make a conscious effort to turn the water off while I'm brushing my teeth or washing my face. I rinse my drinking glass and re-use it for the day. I'm not doing anything about the toilet flushing... some things are sacred.

It's actually been kinda fun to set this challenge for myself. Keeps the creative juices flowing a bit! Anyone have other suggestions for eco-friendly housekeeping?

1 comment:

  1. There's always the home-made laundry detergent (recipe is on my blog), which will also save you lots of money... Lights and appliances such as printers/tv/cable box etc on a power bar with a switch... keep us posted on other ideas you come up with!

    ReplyDelete