Monday, April 19, 2010

How we chose the name... or the name chose us!

We're getting a lot of questions about where we got the name Cohen. There is a story to it!

About a month before we got our referral, a friend of mine told me a funny story that her niece told her that involved a kid in her class named Cohen. I think it was the first time I had heard the name, and it stuck with me. A few days later, Cory and I were talking about names and thought we should make a list of boys names. I mentioned Cohen and he liked it too so we put it on the list. Shortly after that conversation, Cory remembered a recent visit to a reiki healer (who also intuits) where she asked him if he was a Leonard Cohen fan. He's not, but she insisted she got that vibe from him. She also predicted at that same visit that we would be matched with a boy who looked like Cory and people would say he doesn't really look Chinese... three for three!

When we got the referral, we had narrowed the list of boys names to Cohen and one other choice. We were sitting in the food court at the mall with his picture trying to decide which name suited him best. At that very moment, we realized that the song playing on the mall sound system was Hallelujah (the k.d. lang version... my favourite). Cory and I looked at each other, eyes filled with tears, and said "Cohen it is".

A much more interesting story for Cohen than named after your grandmother like his Mom or a soap opera character like his Dad.

3 comments:

  1. I love it!! How awesome that in a universe where there there is often more questions than answers, and more chaos than serenity, sometimes perfect moments of absolute clarity find us :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a great story! I was named after Tammy Wynette and would love to have a more "original" story to my name!

    I love hearing the "happiness" jump out your writing!! I am so thrilled for you guys.

    Tammy

    ReplyDelete